Friday, August 8, 2008

What is the what?


“What is the what?”
By Dave eggers


Irony is found in many works of literature. In Dave Eggers “what is the what”, irony is used in many ways. In the opening scene the narrator is robbed in his house in Atlanta. Irony is used in quotes all through out the story. My first example of irony is, “I want to be in Kakuma, where I lived in a hut of plastic and sandbags and owned one pair of pants.” Another example of irony is when the narrator was 11 is Sudan. “Come to me, children! I am your mother! Come to me; and when they drew close enough she lifted an automatic rifle and shot through the chests and stomachs of the boys.” The last example of irony is when he was getting robbed. “And because we’re brothers and all, ill teach you a lesson; don’t you know you shouldn’t open your door to strangers.” Those are all examples of irony in the story “what is the what” by Dave eggers.

No comments: